With the new year upon us, there’s no time like the present to firm up your fitness resolve for a healthier new year Words by Ayesha Billimoria
Being an avid fan of running, I can say that running is the best activity you can give your body.
BUT…There are so many people out there who dislike running – some out of fear of hurting their knees. Others out of fear of running out of breath.
So how do we find an option to give to people to get healthy in the year 2024??
It’s simple. Do what you love. It could be walking, playing a sport, swimming, or just going for a trail or trek up a mountain.
The world is suddenly obsessed with fitness, but they forget the basics of being active.
Being active comes with no age bar. Both my parents have never trained a single day in their life and yet can pick up their own suitcases up and down two floors. They can work 8 hours without getting exhausted and still put home food on the table.
While science has proven that having lean muscle mass can improve your overall health and wellbeing, I also believe that eating clean, eating in moderation, and staying active also contribute to good health and wellbeing.
But for those who struggle to even find that basic path. Here’s what you can do to start with.
- Start with a simple walk in the morning or evening. Don’t worry about the time. Just make the effort to get out of your home and into a green space.
- Join a yoga or meditation class. These days we have online classes and that makes everyone’s life so much easier.
- Eat the rainbow colours and what your grandparents ate. Too much information and stress today is given to food. While the options are a dime a dozen, don’t forget your roots and the foods on which you grew up. If you want to make food changes in your daily diet, consult a nutritionist to guide you to work around your gut and food patterns and not what the world is adhering too.
- Switch off your gadgets and all screens at least 60 mins before going to bed. This has proven (personally as well) to be a great boon to how you sleep and the depth of your sleep. Give yourself that time with yourself before sleeping. Read a book, talk to your neighbours, go for a walk post dinner, or just place your hand on your tummy and focus on your breathing.
- Drink one helping of coconut water at least 3 times a week. In the modern world, everyone is lost by taking multiple vitamin and supplement tablets. Stick to the basics. Coconut not only is the best means of hydration for when you are tired or out in the sun, but it is also a hydrant that is packed with vitamins, nutrients, and minerals.
So, let 2024 be the year that takes you back to where you started your life’s journey from. Keep things simple. Live life simply 🙂
Ayesha Billimoria currently works as an athletics coach and movement specialist in Mumbai and is an Indian fitness influencer, athlete, public speaker, model, trainer, and author. In 2016, she started her own social enterprise by the name of Project Fitgirl, which aims to educate young children at Government school level and in rural india. This project now works primarily in Uttar Pradesh, where the highest number of adolescent girls are uneducated. She can be found online under the handle ‘Fitgirl.India’.